During your hygiene checkups, our dentist, Dr. Scott Steedman, and our exceptional hygienists will perform a comprehensive dental exam and a thorough dental cleaning. The comprehensive exam will include:
- Examination of existing dental restorations: We will go through and evaluate the state of your current bridges, fillings, crowns, etc.
- Taking and examining digital dental X-rays: Digital X-rays are essential in helping us detect cysts, bone loss, tooth decay and tumors. Digital X-rays can also give us valuable information on the tooth and root positions.
- Evaluation for periodontal (gum) disease: We will examine your gums, tissues and bone for gum disease.
- Oral cancer screening: As part of the oral cancer screening, we will examine your neck, face, lips, throat, tongue, tissues and gums.
- Tooth decay evaluation: We will check all tooth surfaces for decay with special instruments.
Professional Dental Cleaning
Your hygiene check-up will also include a professional dental cleaning. Performed by either Dr. Steedman or one of our hygienists, your cleaning will involve:
- Removing plaque: This sticky, clear film forms on the teeth and consists of saliva, food debris and living bacteria. The bacteria produce poisons or toxins that lead to periodontal disease.
- Removing tartar (calculus): Calculus is hardened plaque that has attached the surface of the teeth either below or above the gum line. Only a trained dental professional using specialized instruments can effectively remove calculus.
- Polishing the teeth: Any surface stains and leftover plaque will be polished away, and you will be left with a healthy and clean smile.
We recommend visiting the dentist at least once every six months to remain in optimal oral health. To schedule your next dental cleaning and exam in Lake Stevens, Washington, please call Smiles By Steedman today at 425-334-4087. We look forward to helping you achieve a radiant and healthy new smile!